Stuffed Bell Peppers
Our local farmer's market had green peppers on sale, so today seemed like the best day to give it a shot. Since I hadn't made stuffed bell peppers before, I did look at a few recipes first to get a feel for what normally goes into them. Then I went through our refrigerator and pantry to see what I could whip up.
Time: 1 hour
Serves: 2 adults
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced.
- 2 tsp dry garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tomato, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to instructions.
- Meanwhile, cut the tops off the green bell peppers and clean out the insides. Reserve the tops.
- Parboil the green peppers for 5 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil at medium high in a large skillet. Dice the green pepper tops. Add the diced green peppers, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook until onions are translucent (~5 minutes).
- Add ground turkey to the skillet and good until the turkey is browned.
- Add tomato and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and mix well.
- Stuff mixture into bell peppers and top with cheese.
- Bake in a pan with a tiny bit of water on the bottom for 25 - 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and everything is cooked through.
While I cooked the rice at the same time as the turkey mixture, you could precook the rice. We actually keep cooked rice in the freezer for quick fried rice. We had some rice and turkey mix left over that we plan to eat with biscuits during the week.