Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Assignment #3: The Outbox

Well, it's day 3 of "The Cure" and I'm swimming right along. This time last year, I was still mopping the floors and making my lists. Today's task is super easy and should take less than 5 minutes -- my kind of task! -- create an outbox.

An outbox is a container to store the things that you aren't sure about. The general idea is to place items in the box to help cut the strings of attachment. After the item has been in the box for a week or longer, you make a final decision. Does the item stay or go? More often than not, you've been living without the item for a while and don't miss it.

Hubby and I have a permanent outbox in the garage next to the trash and recycle bins. It's the best place in the house for us because we walk past it every time we go to the car. It's easy to drop an item off in the box on the way out the door. Also, I don't worry about the outbox (or area around it) being a mess because it's in a place that's allowed to get messy.

Good-bye to the chef's knife
The second part of the assignment was to put an item in the box. This was a stroke of genius for me. While reaching for a knife, I realized that I always avoid one particular knife. As soon as I noticed this, I asked hubby for his thoughts and he immediately grabbed the knife and put it in the outbox. Go Team Smith!

For the record, we have two other chopping knives that aren't in the picture. So we didn't "outbox" our only chopping knife.  I think a trip to Goodwill will be happening soon since the box is pretty full.

Best wishes!

4 comments :

  1. I'm so impressed you have an Out Box. Hopefully one day this year I'll have cut clutter down to where I can use a box. Right now I have an Out Room, as well as about 5 stacked Out Boxes in the garage. Paring down from couplehood clutter to the reorganization required for widowhood feels almost like taking a shovel and moving a mountain to flat land, then back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think you have an "out box" because what is a room except for a really *big* box. For me, decluttering is more about the journey than the destination. One thing a day. I'm sorry for your loss.

      Delete
  2. I keep an "outbox" in my office. When it is full, I take it over to Goodwill the next weekend and start a new one. It's less painful when it's one box at a time. We have much less coming in than going out now so one day I think we'll see a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to follow a one in, one out rule. It helps to keep things under control. In the last year you really have made a lot of progress. Keep chugging along. Love you!

      Delete