Monday, January 5, 2015

Assignment #1: Floor and Flowers

I am participating in Apartment Therapy's January Cure for the second year in a row. I found the list of activities and encouragement helpful last year as we tackled our first year of home ownership. This year the focus is on refining our house style.

The first assignment was floor and flowers. Honestly, I hate cleaning our floors because it seems like too much time for the payoff, but in the spirit of things I'm going for it. Hubby and I did a deep clean of the downstairs before Christmas, so I headed upstairs first. Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. If anyone knows of a better way to control stray kitty litter, I am all ears. We currently have a hooded litter box with an extra large litter mat under it, but my cats seem to have mastered launching out of the box without touching the mat. It's gross, I know.


The downstairs took a bit of time, but I finally made it through the pile of cat and dog fur, toys, and beings. I'm sort of amazed that there was already so much yucky on the floor. I guess that's something I need to work on.

The second part of the assignment -- flowers -- isn't going to happen. Cali has always had a thing for flowers and after her impression of "Cal-zilla" during gardening season, I don't think that flowers would be in the interest of Smith House harmony. Don't fret though, I have a plan for getting some living plants into the house when spring comes. 

Until then, here's a photo from two springs ago. Tulips are my favorite flower and I was ecstatic to see that our apartment complex had them planted. 


No comments :

Post a Comment