Reflecting on a Month of Posts

For the month of May I participated in NaBloPoMo (National Blog Post Month) and was challenged to write new blog post each business day of the month. The theme of the month was "nourish" and I tended to use the prompts as spring boards to new ideas. I learned quite a bit about myself and writing on a schedule along the way.

30 days of posting was hard

I normally do one pomodoro of blog writing/maintenance each day and it is usually the first pomodoro of the the day. I like being able to cross "blog" off my list of things to do early because it makes me feel productive and I start the day with a bit of creativity. That being said, writing blog posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I need to be at school became a challenge because I have a specific morning routine that does not often include writing or work. This certainly needs to change for the future.

I sure do like to eat

Since the theme of the month was "nourish," most of my posts revolved around eating. I truly do love the process of cooking and consuming. I also learned that I am generally exercise averse and need to get back on the exercise wagon if I am to be able to continue eating the way that I do. Exercising used to be a way that I nourished my soul, so it would be nice to regain that sense of balance.

Writing is my work

On a normal day I write anywhere from 1500 to 2000 words (a rough estimate) spread across a variety of tasks including note-taking, drafting, editing, communicating, and grading. To be honest, I didn't realize how ingrained writing is in my everyday life. I've sort of rebelled against the fact that publications are the currency of my field, but if I am writing as much as I do I may as well be recognized for it. I also learned that I hold my students to a higher standard of writing because of my focus on it. I do see grading as a communicative task and hope that through my comments and corrections that my students become better writers and communicators.

Ideas for new posts

Writing over the last month, while difficult at times, has challenged me to come up with new ideas for blog posts. I do like writing about what happens in Smith Land on a regular basis, but hope to reach a wider audience as well. To that end, I am going to start incorporating regular "consumption" reviews. These posts will be about the things that we "consume" in Smith Land including media, food, and entertainment. So much of my life is wrapped up lately in the accumulation process and the theory of value that I think this is a way I can mix my research with my life. More to come of course.

Going forward

A month of blogging regularly has taught me that I can indeed keep to a schedule. I think that I am going to continue posting during the week with weekends off, but with more intentional posts. I like having structure and scheduling my posts gives me that. Also, the purpose of this blog has been evolving over time and I like the current direction.

What do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts