Wednesday, May 7, 2014

You have been Chopped

Tuesday, May 6, 2014: Have you ever invented your own recipe? Tell us about it (or your favourite one).

I'm a pretty adventurous cook, but I prefer to have a recipe lead the way. Hubby's meals are often described to me as a Chopped basket dream. If you've never watched Chopped, I strongly suggest it. The basic premise is that four cooks are pitted against each other in timed rounds. For each round they are given a mystery basic of ingredients and they must use each ingredient (either a little or a lot). Sometimes the dishes look amazing and other times I'm a bit horrified. No matter which reaction, I am always impressed with the fact that these chefs were able to come up with something on the fly with ingredients that they have often never used before. Hubby fits this style of cooking exactly with similar results. Unfortunately, I was not blessed in this way.

My favorite thing to eat, as horrible and childish as this sounds, is Velveeta shells and cheese. I love this stuff and could honestly eat it everyday, BUT due to a severe dairy intolerance this is out of the realm of possibility.

For a few years, I just gave in to the craving and suffered the consequences. Unfortunately, this is no longer an option, so I had to come up with a less destructive way of dealing with things. I mentioned in a previous post that the mainstreaming of veganism has helped to bring a lot of new products to the market. (A capitalism positive is a rare sight to be had.) Hubby and I started to experiment and I think we came up with the perfect recipe for non-dairy shells and cheese.

Ingredients


  • 1/2 box shell pasta
  • Handful (or so) Go Veggie! Cheddar & Pepper Jack Shreds
  • 2 tablespoons non-dairy margarine
  • 2 - 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I usually use coconut milk or whatever is in the pantry) 

Instructions


  1. Prepare pasta per the box instructions
  2. Return the pasta to the pan after straining
  3. Add the remaining ingredients (cheese, margarine, and milk) to the pasta and stir on medium-low until margarine and cheese are melted
  4. Pepper to taste
The brand of cheese that you use is pretty important. After trying a few as they came to the market, I have found that the veggie shreds melt well and taste pretty close to the real thing. Sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous, I'll add chopped bacon, some sauteed onion, a sprinkle of paprika to change things up. Also, I'll note that Amy's macaroni and soy cheez is a reasonable alternative for those of us who don't have time to cook or the desire to fiddle with a non-recipe.

Best wishes!

1 comment :

  1. Did you know I LOVE LOVE LOVE mac and cheese but I never eat it because the smell makes Gene nauseated? We'll be having some when you visit!!!!

    ReplyDelete