Yoga Blues

Tuesday, May 20, 2014: Have you ever tried yoga or meditation? Tell us about your experience.

There was a point in my life where I did yoga 3 - 4 times a week. I was an undergraduate and found that doing yoga eased the stress of my senior year and helped me become much more toned. I continued going to yoga throughout my master's program to help main a modicum of sanity. Unfortunately, I haven't consistently done yoga since moving to Michigan and I sort of miss it.

For me, yoga is similar to going to church. I grew up Catholic and would attend mass on a weekly basis. While I am no longer religious, the feeling that I have post-yoga of inner peace and calm is reminiscent of my post-mass feelings. All of the inner peace, but none of the inner guilt. 

Why did I stop going to yoga? Well, there are a few reasons. First, I attended yoga for college credit which meant that, even though it was a pass/fail course, I was required to show up. Also, it meant that I had pre-paid for a semester's worth of classes. I wanted to get my money's worth. When we moved to Michigan I had two options for yoga: (1) pay to go to a studio or (2) sign up for classes at my new school. Neither option appealed to me. Paying to go to a studio is more expensive than paying for credits (in comparison to my old school). Since I wasn't required to go, it was easy to blow off with excuses such as, "I'll go later," "I don't have the time today," or "I'm too busy." Taking yoga classes through school wasn't a good option either because I commute 80 miles to campus and out-of-state credits are quite expensive. Unlike my prior school that charged for a block of full-time credits (once you hit full-time status additional credits were free), this school charges per credit so any credits above the required nine were coming directly out of my pocket.

The other reason I stopped going to yoga, aside from scheduling and finances, was the lack of community. In the past, I would usually attend class with a few friends and it sort of became a ritual with accountability. I would do Sunday yoga and breakfast with one friend, meet a couple of friends for weekday sessions, and so on. It's sort of like going to a movie where you're next to your person in general silence for an hour, but are having a shared experience. I haven't found a yoga buddy in Michigan yet and am not likely to any time soon. I tried going to yoga with hubby, but it's not really his thing. 

Super sad his/hers yoga mats in the closet patiently waiting for my return.
I guess I need to put on my big girl yoga pants and just get my butt to the studio. Maybe I'll make some new friends and find some much needed inner peace.

Best wishes!

Comments

  1. I thought he liked yoga? I've never tried it. I think I'm too fat for it now. I hear hot yoga is the big thing. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes yoga, but not the time commitment involved. You're not too fat for yoga. One of the major tenants of practice is to do no harm (ahimsa). Almost all poses can be modified in some way to meet you where you are in ability. For example, I cannot do downward facing dog due to major swelling in my wrists -- thanks gymnastics! -- so I do dolphin pose instead and rest on my forearms.

      Hot yoga is the devil. I'm already sweat so much in normal yoga and worry that I'm going to face plant. My mat would turn into a slip-n-slide if I did hot yoga. Sorry for the yucky mental image.

      Love you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts