Project 333 Wannabe

I have a confession to make: I am a Project 333 wannabe.

Project 333 is an exercise in dressing with less. Participants are challenged to dress with only 33 items for three months at a time. I keep toying with doing this project, but am running into difficulties that I didn't think would happen.

1. I keep going through my closet and picking out 33 items and then fail to follow through. For the record, I have about 50 pieces of clothing divided between work, causal, and crossover pieces. I know that this doesn't seem like a lot, but most of my articles of clothing are rarely worn -- especially the pieces that I wear to more formal events such as conferences.

2. I have a hard time creating outfits out of the 33 items that I pick. I have an array of neutral bottoms, but somehow ended up with a closet of blouses and cardigans that only go with specific items. For example, I have a red cardigan that only goes with my red flower blouse. Both should probably go to the donate pile since I'm pretty sure that red looks much too harsh on me, but haven't been able to let go. The answer may be to invest in a couple (literally two) lightweight neutral cardigans that can go with more of my tops.

3. The idea of a uniform both scares and excites me. I like the idea of having a go to style, but I don't want to be seen as the person who always wears the same thing. This might be the most challenging part of the project for me because I am still struggling with what other people link of how I look. For example, I keep track of the outfits that I have worn to teach in so that I don't wear the same outfit too often. When I teach twice a week this is a sustainable model, but there is going to be a point when I teach 4 or 5 days a week. Does that mean I expand my closet to with more items? I think not.

As a result, I've decided to take some baby steps. Starting May 21st, I have been taking pictures of my outfits. Knowing that I am going to forget to take pictures some days, when I acquire 30 photos I will do a mini-review of my closet. The questions that I am trying to answer are:

  • How much of my wardrobe do I actually wear?
  • Are there pieces that would help me style my outfits differently?
  • Do I have a uniform and don't know it?
I'll be sure to follow up with what I find out.

Best wishes!

Comments

Popular Posts