Tasty Goodness!

Monday, May 26, 2014: Tell us your favourite summer food.

My favorite summer foods are sorbet (pretty much any flavor) and fresh lemonade. Sweet, tart, and cold are the qualities that I look for in summer drinks and desserts. Of course I prefer that both be made from scratch.

For my first summer shindig at the house, I made an assortment of appetizers and had non-alcoholic and adult beverages on hand. Of course the non-alcoholic beverage of choice was lemonade. I like to use fresh lemon juice for it. I don't know about you, but I think the bottled stuff has an off-putting after taste. In the past, hubby would dutifully squeeze lemons for me. He's a good sport and likes the end product. Luckily for him, we decided that a citrus juicer would be a good addition to our kitchen. We decided to buy the attachment (here) for our mixer. It was the right price and was not another appliance. Basically, I have yet another reason to use the mixer on an almost daily basis. Since buying the juicer, I've made three gallons of lemonade. Tasty goodness!

I've talked about making sorbet before (here) and it's still one of my favorite cold treats. All it really takes is some water, sugar, and fresh fruit to make a delicious desert. I like to know exactly what goes into my food, so I rarely buy sorbet from the store. Plus, mine usually turns out better. (If I do say so myself.) Recently, I did finally figure out how to make non-dairy ice cream. This has been a work in progress for several years. 


The recipe for the base is:
  • 1 can coconut milk (I like this brand)
  • 1/4 cup honey or sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 egg yolks
Heat the coconut milk and sugar over medium low until the milk is liquid and the sugar is dissolved. Then add the vanilla. While the milk mixture is coming together, separate your eggs. I usually save the whites for making frosting or an egg white omelet. Beat the egg yolks. While constantly stirring, slowly add 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to the eggs. Continue until all of the milk mixture is incorporated into the eggs. Then transfer the contents of the bowl back to the pan. Continue heating, while stirring slowly until the back of the spoon stays coated when you pull it out. Cool the mixture in the fridge and then freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

Note: The egg heating up process (or tempering) is very important because you don't want to end up with chunks or scrambled eggs. Yuck! Some recipes tell you do cook the base in a double boiler, I've tried without success. 

Once you have the base, you can add other flavorings to the liquid or stir in other tasty treats when you've churned the ice cream. For the record, hubby and my mom -- my two most loving and harshest critics -- say that this ice cream could be sold on the market.

Best wishes!

Comments

Popular Posts