Mac-n-Cheeze, Baby!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014: Which food makes you feel happy when you eat it?

For the most part, I try to eat in moderation. Too much of a good thing can make the good thing lose its specialness. One of those foods for me is macaroni and cheese. I don't know why, but a big bowl of mac-n-cheese makes everything better, even if everything is great.

I am not talking about the yucky boxed macaroni and cheese that comes with powdered cheese stuff. The bowl of tasty goodness I am referring to has gooey cheese bits and is more like cheese gravy. This is the stuff of artery clogging consistency. As I've mentioned before, I finally figured out how to create a non-dairy version of this dish. It took quite a bit of experimentation, but the cheese sauce is just right. My macaroni and cheese doesn't use macaroni noodles. Instead, I like shells because the sauce can coat the entire shape without any pockets of exposed pasta. In a pinch, I'll use bow-tie pasta though.

Then, of course, there are add-ins. Sometimes I'll stir in some crumbled bacon, sauteed onion, or diced chicken. Not that this meal needs any additional flavor, but bites of crisp bacon or sweet onion make the rest of the bowl just pop.

I'm off to make a bowl now. Funny how just writing about it makes me start craving it.

Best wishes!

Comments

Popular Posts