Friday, May 16, 2014

Favorite Restaurant

Friday, May 16, 2014: Tell us about your favourite restaurant.

If you haven't guessed from the last few posts, I actually love to eat and would consider it to be one of my main hobbies. Yes, humans need to eat to survive, but I eat for the experience. (I should probably consider writing reviews of the restaurants that we go to in future blog posts.) I actually have two favorite restaurants in our town. Neither of them are chain restaurants and for good reason. I truly think that if one wants to experience food for all that it has to offer, then mass produced bland food is not the way to go. Don't get me wrong, I'll go to a chain restaurant now and again if the group I'm with has many differing tastes or if I'm on vacation and want something "safe" to eat. Now on to the restaurants!

My first favorite place to go is Soup Spoon Cafe located in downtown Lansing, Michigan. Soup Spoon Cafe is a great little restaurant with an upscale, foodie vibe. Hubby and I usually try to go at off times since this place is always packed. We like to meander through our meal and don't want to feel like we're inconveniencing anyone. The service, no matter what time of day, is impeccable. All of the staff is very knowledgeable about the menu and will go out of their way to make sure that I won't be accidentally "dairied." I don't have a favorite menu item and the reason for that is that the menu is constantly changing. I appreciate being forced to try new things since I'm a creature of habit and will normally order the same thing every time. Soup Spoon always has vegan offering available and they are always delicious. Their beer and wine selections are also always changing and always delicious.

My second favorite restaurant is Pablo's Old Town. Pablo's is, in my humble post-Arizonan opinion, the best Mexican food in the area. We moved to Michigan from Arizona three years ago and I was finally able to find a restaurant with authentic Mexican food. It was quite the challenge! Pablo's is even smaller than Soup Spoon Cafe and is always busy. I have tried a few things on their menu, but always gravitate back to the Mexican taco dinner (as opposed to American tacos). Their Mexican tacos are traditional street tacos with two corn tortillas holding the meat, onion, and cilantro. They are amazing. The only thing missing at Pablo's is the appropriate Mexican beer to go with my tacos. Unfortunately, Pablo's does not have a liquor licence and, therefore, does not serve beer. Pablo's is an inexpensive restaurant as well.

I would encourage anyone coming to the Lansing area to visit either of these restaurants as you will not be disappointed.

Best wishes!

No comments :

Post a Comment