Friday, May 30, 2014

Commander Sisko Needs a New Dog Bed

Commander Sisko, bless his heart, has a thing for chewing and one of the latest casualties was his dog bed. Rather than buying him a new bed from the pet store, I have decided to crochet him a basket and put his pillow in it. The basket and pillow approach worked well for the upstairs dog bed, so I am hoping for repeat success. (Yes, you read that correctly. Sisko will have two dog beds.)

Materials
For this project, I am starting with a pattern that I found for a "spa basket" (linked here). This particular pattern calls for 5 balls of scented Lily Sugar & Creme, but I found 10 skeins of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (you can purchase here) in my mom's basement. Not one to say no to free yarn that I can use, I am making the substitution with 6 balls of ecru colored yarn. I'm sure that the Commander won't mind. Another small change that I made is that I used a size F (3.75mm) hook instead of the size D that the pattern called for. This will result in a slightly larger basket and I won't need to buy another hook.

The finished basket measures 10" by 5" by 5".  I'm not sure what I was thinking when I set out for this basket to be a dog bed because my little dog won't fit inside this basket. In order for Sisko to use the basket as a bed, it would need to be at least 10" by 10". Whoops!


On the upside, the basket only used four balls of yarn, leaving me with six left over in this color. I think I'm going to re-purpose the basket for something else and make Sisko a larger bed out of the remaining yarn. I can almost always find a use for yet another basket. It would probably look nice holding the rest of my crochet supplies or in my bathroom for toiletries. I'll need to think on where it's final rest place will be.

Best wishes!

No comments :

Post a Comment