Bring in the Professionals... or Not

Monday, May 5, 2014: Would you ever want a personal chef, or do you enjoy cooking your own meals?

I have mixed feelings about the prompt. On the one hand, I would jump at the chance to have a personal chef. On the other hand, I do enjoy cooking and my inner minimalist would frown at the expense of a personal chef.

I think the middle ground between these two reactions is learning how to be a better home cook. I am a fan of the Food Network and have tried out quite a few recipes from their website. The problem with teaching myself how to cook is that I don't know if what I made tastes correct or not. On the upside, most of my cooking experiments turn out well.

Now, if we were to talk about the time saving features of a personal chef, I might be easier to persuade. Hubby and I, particularly during exam season, often do not have the time to cook. This results in one of two things: (1) we order delivery or (2) we have a completely uninspired meal of leftovers. Neither is really satisfying, but you do what you have to do. Now that I am done teaching and commuting for the foreseeable future, I will have more time to cook and this should be less of a problem.

There are a few things that we do in order to streamline the cooking process.
  • We do a "loose" weekly meal plan that normally has a "big" meal and several dinners.
  • Hubby does all of the grocery shopping on Saturday morning from a list.
  • We have a medium box of fruits and veggies delivered every two weeks by Door to Door Organics (linked here).
  • Many of our recurring groceries are set to be auto-delivered by Amazon through their Subscribe and Save Program (details linked here).
By being a bit proactive, we always have fresh fruits and veggies available and a well-stocked pantry. This doesn't really solve my cooking problems, but I think that having the materials and ingredients available certainly helps with providing the motivation and inspiration to cook.

Comments

Popular Posts