Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Office Re-Decorating

Hubby and I spend a lot of time in our home office. He likes to game in the evenings and I'm pretty much in here if I am awake doing either hobbies or my dissertation. Therefore, it is important that we love the space. A while back I decided that I wanted to paint the office electric blue. However, after considering the existing color scheme of various shades of purple, we opted for a much different color: Globe Thistle by Valspar.

First, a short story. Hubby and I were at our local home improvement store and ended up having the following discussion:
H: Are you philosophically against white walls?
Me: Yes, white makes me crazy.
H: ...
Me: I feel like I'm staring into the abyss with white walls. Color makes me feel sane.
I may be a minimalist at heart, but I have found that I need color to function. We bought two gallons of paint and I set off to getting the room ready. I had previously patched the holes and dings in the walls, so I just needed to cover the furniture in plastic and set to sanding the patches. I'm super glad that I bought a power sander and didn't need to hand sand the entire room. Even so, it took me over an hour to sand and then another two hours to clean up the dust.

Before I show the after pictures, let's see what I was working with:

White walls and a stuffed book case. This office was far from ideal.
The above pictures were from when we first moved in to the house. I didn't really have a "vision" of what I wanted this space to look like at the time.

After I painted and rearranged the furniture, things are starting to come together:


Globe Thistle is lavender grey that says "soothing and contemplative" to me. I wanted a color that made the room feel cozy and didn't horribly clash with our existing decor. Bold, but not too bold. We moved my desk to by the window so that I can take advantage of the summer light. I added a project planner board next to the desk to keep me organized and the shelves hold my current dissertation books and craft supplies. I swear I only own enough yarn for the projects that I am currently working on.

The shelves are a combination of picture ledges and short shelves that we had left over from the apartment. I hung them just high enough so that my cats aren't able to jump on them. The books that I am not currently working with are stored in the cabinets under the window.

All in all, I am loving the monochromatic purple color scheme. I am happy that we were able to achieve so much positive change with just paint and by "shopping" our house for additional touches. The next steps for this room are refinishing the door, re-hanging our space pictures, and adding some curtains. 

2 comments :

  1. What a difference color makes! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think, I wasn't too keen on the color at first. Hubby has a real knack for picking out paint!

      Delete