DIY Chair Socks



Since moving into the house, I have had a love/hate relationship with felt pads.  On one hand, I love that they protect our hardwood floor from scratches.  On the other hand, they fall off and need to be replaced and are cat/dog hair magnets.  I've been searching for a way to protect my floor with something that could be easily washed.  Also, I wanted to learn how to crochet in the round.  Enter the chair sock.  I found chair sock patterns here, here, and here, but ultimately decided to wing it for a few reasons.  


I got excited and went to the store to buy yarn for the project.  Ultimately, I picked a grey worsted weight cotton yarn (the exact type is unknown since I threw out the yarn info accidentally, *update* linked here) that, despite my best efforts, cannot be worked with a smaller hook than a size I (5.5mm).  Most of the patterns that I found call for a much smaller hook.  I really like the yarn though, so this is the pattern that I came up with:

Row #1: Chain 11
Rows #2 - 10: SC in the round
Bind off and weave in the ends.

This pattern fits our Ikea Henriksdal bar stools and took a bit of trial and error, but I'm happy with the results.  Once I figured out the pattern, each "sock" takes about 20 minutes for me to crochet.  I like that I can easily change out the socks in the course of an afternoon with a new color.

Close up
I'll report back in a few months with how well the chair socks are holding up. So far they seem to be doing the intended job.


Comments

Popular Posts