Friday, August 31, 2012

SuddenlySusan Comes for a Visit

SuddenlySusan, also known as hubby's mom, came for a visit over this past weekend. We were really excited to have her here and show her our little world.  It's funny how you can live in a place for a while and not really know what there is to do because when you're at home you aren't really a tourist.  I'm going to split her trip into two posts:  one about the stuff we did and the other about the food.

Walking down the River Walk (Credit: SuddenlySusan)
From the moment she landed, we were going.  I think the three of us wanted to fit as much as possible into the time that we had.  The first night we went took a walk down the river walk and explored downtown a little bit.  Mom was so excited by the capitol building that we decided to visit it the next day for a tour.  I'm really glad that hubby and I saved the tour for when she was here.  Otherwise, we would have been super bored.

Chandelier (Credit: Suddenly Susan)
The capitol building is super neat on the inside and bit gaudy too.  I didn't think it was particularly gaudy until I looked up and saw the chandeliers that were straight out of an elk lodge.  They didn't match the overall decor at all.  It was neat that we were permitted to wander around the entire building without being required to submit to a security check.  Part of me wonders if that was related to the time of year.  Since the legislature is not in session right now, maybe security is a little more relaxed.

Mom "dying" again (AMSmith)
After our exploration of the capital building, we decided to head home and cool off for the evening.  It was nice cooking dinner at home and playing video games.  Mom was way too funny when she was playing Super Mario Brothers on the Wii.  I think it was really cool of her to be open to relaxing at home with some video games.

On Saturday, we decided to check out a local Oldsmobile museum.  It was really neat seeing all of the different models of Oldmobiles throughout time.  Also, by most of the cars, there were mannequins wearing whatever was in fashion at the time.  It added to the sense of times long past seeing those outfits.  It's sad to think that the last Oldsmobile was produced in 2004.  Also, we were left wondering what cars from today would be in museums in 20 or 30 years.

Checking out the "Woody" (Credit: SuddenlySusan)
Later in the evening, we decided that we didn't want to stay home and that nothing at the movie theater or red box seemed interesting, so we piled into the car and drove 1.5 hours to Ikea.  Mom had never been to an Ikea before, so it was an interesting adventure.  Plus, she had the added bonus of getting to see more of the state.

On her last day here, we took it a little easy.  It was supposed to get up to 95 degrees and with the humidity we knew that all of us were going to be cooking.  So, we decided to take a drive to where I work (about 1.5 hours away).  We packed all of our leftovers from the weekend into my lunch box and made a pic-nick adventure out of it.  On the way home, we decided to for go the usual highway route and took the scenic back roads home.

All told, it was a pretty amazing visit with our mom!


3 comments :

  1. I LOVED playing Super Mario! I could totally get hooked on it and play it for hours on end. Good thing I don't have my own XBox or PS3 or whatever the heck those machines are called. I love how you added color to these pics, makes them so much more vibrant! Yep, good times!! mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! We played Super Mario Bros. on the Wii and Flower on the PS3. I know that the various systems can be confusing!

      Thanks for the compliment on the pictures. I've been experimenting more with cropping and color to see if I can create something new from the photos that I have.

      <3's.

      Delete
    2. The more you know about editing, you'll be glad you didn't delete some of your pics. I have gone back in my archives and done some amazing "fixes" after I've learned a new feature in editing program. I learned from a photography class to never delete "iffy" pics.

      Delete