Making Progress on the 150 Thing Challenge

One of the things that I like about being a minimalist is that I often recycle the things that I am no longer using.  Sometimes this means donating items and other times this means finding a new purpose for something.  This post is about the latter.

During a recent "organizing stuff into oblivion" binge, I found myself to be in possession of an empty bookcase -- a rare feat indeed.  Hubby and I have been going back and forth about this particular piece of furniture.  On one hand, moving it on in life would be a good idea because an empty bookcase is really just a temptation to buy more stuff to fill it up.  On the other hand, it's a pretty sturdy piece of furniture that might come in handy the next time we move.  You can see the issue.

In addition, we have a coffee table that has seen better days.  In the past, this coffee table has embodied our spirit of repurposing.  For a short time it was a traditional coffee table in front of the couch.  Then it became our fish tank stand when we tried our hand at being fish parents.  (We should have stuck to being cat parents.)  Then, in our current home, it became the media center under the TV that held our gaming equipment.  But, like I said, it has seen much better days.  Hubby recently agreed that when we move again, probably in two-ish years, that we can part ways with the coffee table.  

So, how does the bookcase dilemma relate to the coffee table?


The picture on the left is of the sad, empty bookcase.  It was just hanging out in the kitchen begging for a purpose that wasn't just collecting cat hair.  The picture on the right is of the re-purposed bookcase.  By turning it on its side I was able to replace the coffee table and make a new home for our electronics.  I'm not sure what I'll do with the bottom cubbies yet, but I'm open to suggestions... 

Comments

  1. I love your style! Well, I the bottom shelves would be a good place to store shoes or an extra blanket (rolled up sweetly, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are both really good ideas. Hubby just bought us a new closet organizer, so my shoes have a new home (and goodness knows I don't *need* more shoes!), but I think I will store the throw blanket there. It turns out that Scooter likes to hang out in them too, so I'll probably try to leave one or two open for him. :)

      I can't wait for you to see our space in person!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts