Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Why I am closing my Facebook

I am closing my Facebook page on Friday, July 13th.  I know that is this the right decision for me for right now because a certain weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I'm not saying that I won't use Facebook again, rather I'm saying that I need a break from the constant (dis)connectedness.

This life change was prompted by a discussion I had with my brother last night.  No, we didn't talk about FB or how increasing availability and communication has lead to a decline in meaningful interaction between people or even how we can know more about people then in the past and still feel like we don't know them. It started with my brother saying, "Oh, I haven't talked to you in a while and wanted to catch up."  I knew something was wrong when I immediately thought, "Why do you need to talk to me?  It's on Facebook."  That was the beginning of the end.  Somehow, a light bulb clicked and I just knew that Facebook had to go (or at least take a break).

In addition to the disconnection caused by my use of Facebook, I also think that Facebook has lead to a decline in my productivity.  I don't read as much as I once did and I sort of miss it.  Also, I'm pretty sure that the glare of my computer screen hasn't done much for my pasty white complexion.  And then there is the urge I feel to have my Facebook open all of the time.  Something feels amiss when Facebook is closed and I'm not available.

Those are my reasons, take them or leave them.  Like I said, I may be back or I may not be.  Only time and willpower will tell.

No comments :

Post a Comment