Spring River Walk 2012

Don't laugh, but I'm sort of a nerd.  Justin and I take walks almost daily.  It's one of the best ways for us to get some time together without dealing with worldly distractions such as the internet or the work that either of us need to accomplish.  We started walking during grad school as our attempt to increase our work-life balance and while we don't walk as often now (then it was 9PM every night), we still try to make time for it.

One of the best parts of living where we are at is that the River Walk is only a half mile away from our apartment.  It's sort of like having our own private walkway just down the street that is secluded away from traffic and is relatively safe.  Every time we go out on our walks we inevitably run across some sort of creature.  We usually see ducks, geese, and squirrels.  As a person raised in Arizona, most of this is completely new to me.  One of the neatest things we have seen is a family of ducks.  The momma duck let me get close enough to take pictures, but she didn't seem too thrilled about it.

Fuzzy Ducklings!
In addition to seeing baby ducks, feeding the ducks is a whole new experience for me too.  Justin seemed so surprised that I had never fed the ducks before, but when did I have the opportunity?  It's not like we're swimming in ducks in the desert.  :)

The video below is of us feeding a whole gaggle (I think that's the appropriate term for a whole lot of ducks).  They started to swarm around us as we started feeding them.  It was sort of hectic there for a few minutes.  You should hear all of the noise that they made too!  As a side note, ducks do not like flat bread.  We thought we would bring all of our leftover bread with us and see what they liked the best.  Turns out wheat bread is the way to go!  Enjoy the video...


Comments

  1. Tee hee! I heard JP's voice too! LOVE that! I'm sure Justin told you about the duck pond we lived near in Eagle River.

    Today, we went for an early morning walk and I saw a sknunk. A SKUNK!!! It was on the other side of the road and Gene made us move a little quicker to get away from it. "Abbie" wanted it.

    There is nothing I love more than taking a morning walk. I only wish I had been carrying my camera. I'll be taking it with me tomorrow, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the duck pond with the carwash by it? That's the one that Justin likes to tell me about. He thinks it's funny that I've never fed the ducks before moving here. But I'm going to let you in on a secret, Justin is the animal whisperer! Taking him to the petting zoo is like taking a kid to an ice cream shop. His eyes light up!

      As far as the skunk goes, I would have skadaddled the other way pretty quickly. I'm sure Abbie wanted to investigate, but I'm glad you didn't let her. Skunk smell is the worst!

      Delete
    2. Yep, that's the one, by the car wash. We spent a little time feeding those ducks down there. He comes by his love of animals quite honestly.

      I love your blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts