Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Rocking out at Godsmack

One of the good things about living where we live is that there are always really cool shows coming through town or within an hour's drive.  In May we went to see Godsmack and Staind.  Some of my friends teased me by saying that the 1990s called and want their music back, but I love the opportunity to see bands that I grew up listening to.

Taking pictures during Halestorm
Over the last few years, Justin and I have been to a couple of different shows and we've discovered that we really like buying general admission tickets because we get to stand pretty close to all of the action.  Plus, it's kind of lame to have seats at a rock show.  Justin is usually our family photographer and he took the pictures during this show.  While I was jamming out to one of the bands, I took a brief look around me and noticed that there were quite a few people taking pictures during the show.  In the age of smartphones, this really shouldn't surprise me, but it does.  Part of going to concerts for me is just the whole experience of feeling the music through my whole body and singing along to songs I know with a lot of other people.  That's partially why Justin takes our pictures, I'm usually too absorbed in the moment to remember to take out my camera.  

Us before the show
A few days after the show I was talking with a faculty member whose son had gotten married over the weekend.  The faculty member lamented that he had not taken pictures during the ceremony.  I told him that someone was paid to capture the ceremony on film and that his job was to simply be the father of the groom.  It worries me that society is so reliant on "capturing the moment" that we forget to experience the moment in the first place.

While I may be all about experiencing the moment, nothing makes me crazier than shows that don't start on time.  The show was supposed to start at 6:30PM, so Justin and I decided to have dinner and arrive at 7PM knowing that we could miss part of the opening act.  However, that was not the case.  When we got there the show still hadn't started.  Which meant that every act was behind schedule.  Godsmack (the band we came to see) didn't get onstage until 9:30PM and, unfortunately, I had to get up at 5:30 the next morning.  We ended up leaving the show after two songs.  It was frustrating because we didn't get home until 11:30PM.  All in all, we had a really fun time. I don't think we'll be going to another mid-week show though.  I guess we're finally too old to stay up past our bedtimes.  :)

Staind performs
Godmack performs


2 comments :

  1. I'm with you on "experiencing" the event! But I'm sure glad JP got some pics for you to post with your blog post. I like Staind! But I've never heard anything by Godsmack.

    We're going to see Earth Wind & Fire tomorrow night at an ampitheatre. I'm excited because we are taking a picnic dinner with us along with chairs to sit on the lawn. My kinda concert! Love you and love your blog!!!

    P.S. I do not miss FB, not even for a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that you like Staind! Good to know :) Godsmack is a bit rougher than Staind, but I really like them too. One of my favorite songs by Godsmack is "Serenity" (http://youtu.be/2A4Km5PTu5o). You might like it.

      And I don't miss FB either. :)

      Delete