For the love of reading


I am just going to say it.  I <3 reading.  I do not read for fun nearly as much as I used to, but hopefully that is about to change.  Since moving to Michigan last year, I decided to make a habit of reading daily for fun.  The "for fun" part is important because I read quite a bit for work since I am squarely in the land of academia.  I read at least a chapter of whatever book I am reading every night.  It helps to calm my mind after a busy day and usually gives me something to think about that is not related to crime.  Therefore, I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy.

Sometimes, like last night, I read more than a chapter.  You know when you get to the good part of a book and you cannot wait to see what happens next?  Well, that usually happens for me when the book is starting to wind down and tie up loose ends.  I was up until 3AM (!) finishing Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire. 

Out of Oz is the fourth, and final, book in the Wicked series.  While I can't decide if I like the way the book/series ended, at least I know how it ended and how we got there. Nothing makes me more crazy then to find out the ending of a book before I read it for myself.  **So, I won't post any spoilers.**  I will say that some will find the ending to be completely unsatisfactory, but I think if you contemplate the events and style of the previous books you'll come to see that this was the proper way for the series to end.  Also, I love it when authors leave a little to the imagination and allow the readers to fill in the gaps of questions unanswered.  And, really, who loved the ending of Return of the King with its gagillion endings?  Okay, I'm exaggerating a little bit...

Which reminds me, if you or someone you know would like to read the Wicked series, drop me an email or text with your address.  I would be more than happy to send you my physical copies of Wicked, Son of Witch, or A Lion Among Men.  At this point I buy/borrow as many of my books as possible as ebooks, so I don't have Out of Oz as a physical book.  Unfortunately, I cannot share Out of Oz because I purchased it as a Kindle book and sharing is not enabled (although for most of my academic Kindle books, sharing is allowed -- interesting).  Ugh... My relationship with my Kindle is another post all on its own.  

Happy reading!

Comments

  1. If you send me those books, I'll read them!

    I love reading too but find I have to force myself into a corner to read. I have terrible guilt that I should be doing something else instead of read.

    We were on vacation one time at the Oregon coast in a motorhome and the weather was really crappy. I stayed in jammies and read a whole book one day. I love those times when I can do that.

    I'm looking forward to the airplane trip to Michigan for this very reason. I'm gonna read all the way there and back!

    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always feel guilty about reading for fun because if I have time to read for fun I should be reading for work. Yet, in my quest for work-life balance, I realize that sometimes I just need to pay myself first and read.

      I already lent out Wicked to another friend, but I'll let her know that I need it back before you get here. Then I'll send all three home with you if that's okay.

      Love you!

      Delete
    2. No worries on the book Amanda! If it's available when I come, great.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts